Grand Tour of Iceland
Encounter a unique culture
Iceland is a country like no other, with exceptional landscapes and geographical phenomena. We circumnavigate the country to experience the natural wonders of its incredible geology. The huge natural forces at work here need little introduction and have left the land dotted with fissures, powerful volcanoes, geysers and lava flows, old and new, that make Iceland an unforgettable destination. From the waterspouts and glaciers of southern Iceland to the volcanic landscape of the north, this trip allows us to see first-hand the raw power and beauty of Mother Nature at work.
- See glaciers, icecaps, volcanoes and geysers
- Bathe in The Blue Lagoon and countless other heated pools
- Discover Reykjavik
- 14 nights farms, hotels and simple guesthouses in convenient locations Facilities will be shared on some nights
- Travel by specialist overland vehicle
- Sightseeing and easy walking
- Day 1 – Fly to Keflavik
- Day 2 – Visit Thingvellir volcanic rift, Geysir waterspouts and Gullfoss Waterfall; to Hella.
- Day 3 – Across southern Iceland towards the Eyafjallajokull Volcano Ice Cap, visiting Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss Waterfalls plus sea-cliffs, famous for puffins.
- Day 4 – Into Skaftafell N.P. where glaciers tumble down from Vatnajokull Ice Cap, to Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon for exploration and optional boat trip.
- Day 5 – Drive through stunning eastern fjords to Egilsstadir.
- Day 6 – Inland through volcanic landscapes to Dettifoss Waterfall; to Asbyrgi Canyon.
- Day 7 – To Husavik for optional whale watching trip,then to Lake Myvatn, an area of pseudo craters, lava flows and hot springs.
- Day 8 – More time in Myvatn including Krafla Volcano; to Akureyri.
- Day 9 – Free day to explore Akureyri.
- Day 10 – Long drive west to Snaefellsnes Peninsula, with stop at the reconstructed ‘turf house’ of Erik the Red.
- Day 11 – Day to explore Snaefellsnes National Park, home to Snaefellsjokull Ice Cap, fishing villages, old lava flows and abundant birdlife.
- Day 12 – To Reykjavik, stopping for walk at Eldborg Crater.
- Day 14 – Free day in Reykjavik; optional horse riding, sea kayaking or lava-tube caving.
- Day 15 – Fly to London