Highlights of Georgia & Armenia
Visit UNESCO churches
Georgian and Armenian churches and monasteries are, almost without exception, built in stunning locations. Surrounded by forests, perched on the top of dramatic gorges or silhouetted before snow-capped mountains, they draw us to magnificent open spaces filled with a huge variety of trees and wild flowers. On this trip we see soaring mountains, lakes and waterfalls. Beautiful scenery is plentiful in both countries as Mount Ararat towers majestically over Yerevan and the Caucasus Mountains can be seen from Tbilisi.
- Visit fascinating UNESCO churches and fortresses in Georgia
- See Mount Ararat towering over Yerevan
- Visit spectacular monasteries in Armenia including Khor Virap
- Walk amongst the pre-Christian cave houses in Uplistsikhe
- Enjoy unique Georgian cuisine
- 11 nights hotels and 2 nights guesthouses (shared facilities in guest house)
- Travel by private bus or minibus
- Reasonable fitness required
- Three long drives
- Day 1 – Fly to Yerevan
- Day 3 – Full day exploring Yerevan and the surrounding area.
- Day 4 – To Khor Virap Monastery; wine tasting at Areni village; visit Noravank and Tatev monasteries; to Goris.
- Day 5 – Silk Road and Lake Sevan via Selim Caravanserai and Noraduz; walk to Sevanavank Monastery.
- Day 6 – Explore Haghartsin Monastery; visit Dilijan;to Dzoraget via a Russian village.
- Day 7 – Visit mediaeval monuments at Sanahin or Haghpat before crossing into Georgia; to Tbilisi.
- Day 8 – Walking tour of Tbilisi; free afternoon.
- Day 9 – To Kazbegi village for views of Mt. Kazbek; alpine walk, visit Gergeti Trinity Church; to Gudauri.
- Day 10 – To Gori, birthplace of Stalin; continue to Uplistsikhe pre-Christian cave town; to Kutaisi.
- Day 11 – Explore Kutaisi’s UNESCO sites; walk in Borjomi-Kharagauli N.P.; to Bakuriani.
- Day 12 – Visit Mtskheta; drive along the ‘wine route’ to Kakheti; overnight in Telavi.
- Day 13 – Explore Alaverdi Cathedral; to citadel complex at Gremi; visit royal town of Signagi; to Tbilisi.
- Day 14 – Fly to London