Prague to Budapest Ride
Cycle the heart of Europe including four historic capitals
Through the landscape of the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary, this trip combines peaceful country lanes with well-marked cycle paths, including sections along the Danube, to showcase the best of Central Europe. Our itinerary meanders past castles, through rustic villages, along rivers and past lakes as we discover the former territories of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Highlights include UNESCO sites, national parks and the famous wine-making region of Moravia. The concentration of cultures and scenery provides a wonderfully contrasting ride through the heart of Europe.
- Cycle along meandering rivers, through forests and national parks
- Discover 4 European capital cities steeped in history
- Experience a wide range of local culture, cuisines, wines and beers
- 10 nights in 2- and 3-star pensions and hotels All rooms are comfortable with en suite facilities
- 9 days cycling with 100% vehicle support
- 80% Tarmac, 20% gravel cycle paths
- Quiet country roads and cycle paths with some busier roads but no challenging terrain
Day 2 – 30.0km / 18.6miles
Day 3 – 55.0km / 34.2miles
Day 4 – 70.0km / 43.5miles
Day 5 – 70.0km / 43.5miles
Day 6 – 45.0km / 28.0miles
Day 7 – 70.0km / 43.5miles
Day 8 – 50.0km / 31.1miles
Day 9 – 40.0km / 24.9miles
Day 10 – 45.0km / 28.0miles
Number of days cycling: 9
Pace: Approximately 3 to 6 hours cycling per day
Terrain: Low altitude; 80% tarmac, 20% gravel cycle paths
- Day 1 – Fly to Prague
- Day 2 – Transfer to Ceske Budejovice; cycle to Cesky Krumlov by the Vltava River
- Day 3 – Ride through the forests and hills to mediaeval spa town of Trebon; transfer to Jindrichuv Hradec.
- Day 4 – Cycle through the Trebon Basin along Greenways Trail to UNESCO town of Telc; transfer to Znojmo in South Moravia.
- Day 5 – Cycle past vineyards to Mikulov.
- Day 6 – Ride into Austria; through small villages and meadows to Mistelbach; transfer to Vienna.
- Day 7 – Leaving Vienna, follow Danube Cycle Path to the Donauauen N.P., into Slovakia and on to Bratislava; time to explore.
- Day 8 – Cycle through the forested hills above Bratislava and into Hungary; on to Halaszi and transfer to peaceful Mosonmagyarovar.
- Day 9 – Cycle through picturesque landscape of the Hungarian lowlands to Gyor; transfer to Esztergom.
- Day 10 – Follow the Danube beneath Visegrad Castle, riding through rolling hills to Szentendre; transfer to Budapest; time for sightseeing.
- Day 11 – Fly to London