Walking the French Riviera
Coastal walking on the Cote d'azur
Located on the Franco-Italian border, on the edge of the warm Mediterranean sea, Menton is a delight for any visitor. It is easy to see how it earned its nickname 'The Pearl of France,' combining a city of gardens, seaport, beach resort and a paradise for hikers all rolled into one! With the Alpine chain dropping into the sea at the level of French/Italian border, it is also an ideal location for an Exodus guided walking holiday. Many of the trails start directly from the town and gain altitude in a short distance, offering some of the finest views of the French Riviera.
- Enjoy picturesque coastal paths
- Stay in heart of the Cote d’Azur
- Walk to the principality of Monaco
- 7 nights comfortable hotel with en suite facilities
- 5 days centre-based walking
- Low altitude throughout
- Altitude maximum 751m, average 350m
Walk profile: Daily distance in km/miles:
Day 2 – 12.0km/7.5miles
Day 3 – 9.0km/5.6miles
Day 4 – 9.0km/5.6miles
Day 6 – 10.0km/6.2miles
Day 7 – 11.0km/6.8miles
Number of days walking:5
Pace:Approximately 4-6 hours walking per day
Terrain:Low altitude; good paths, some rocky sections
- Day 1 – Fly to Nice
- Day 2 – Walk to the Cap Martin Peninsula passing through the pretty cliff side village of Roquebrune Cap Martin.
- Day 3 – Head by bus inland to Sospel, a peaceful village with mountain influences. From here walk to the border of the Mercantour N.P. before returning to Menton by bus.
- Day 4 – By train to Eze, a 14th century village famous for its production of cloves and oranges. From here enjoy a beautiful coastal walk to the affluent principality of Monaco.
- Day 5 – Free day – Spend time of the local sand beaches, head over the border into Italy to try some delicious foccacia bread or visit the myriad of gardens, markets and shops in Menton itself.
- Day 6 – Take the bus to Gorbio; walk to Sainte Agnes via the Cime de Baudon, one of the most beautiful walks on the French Riviera.
- Day 7 – A short train ride to Saint Jean Cap Ferrat. From here we follow coastal trails along limestone cliffs.
- Day 8 – Fly to London